I just spent part of my afternoon digging potatoes in the hot August afternoon sun. It was so exciting, like searching for buried treasure. This will be the first time I’ve used my own homegrown red and gold potatoes to make my world-famous, perfect vegan potato salad. This is a special recipe because it comes from my dad. There are just a few things that my dad does in the kitchen, and potato salad is one of them (the others are fried breakfast potatoes and divinity). Dad was always the one to make potato salad in our house.
Now I’m the one who gets to make this vegan potato salad for birthday parties and family get-togethers. My dad has such a sweet bond with my 3 little ones. They call him Pappy. There’s little that excites them more than when Pappy comes for a visit. Pappy’s not the only man in our lives that loves this potato salad.
Potato Salad & True Love
When I first met my husband, he was not a fan of potato salad, but that’s just because he hadn’t tried mine yet. 😉 All of his potato salad experiences were at potlucks and grocery store delis. Neither is renowned for potato salad quality. I just knew he would change his tune once he had a taste of my own homemade potato salad… And I was right. To this day, he refuses just about every other potato salad but takes a double helping of this stuff.
Homegrown & Homemade
Now that I’ve got a giant pile of garden spuds in my kitchen, potato salad is on the menu. I like to keep things simple. I stick to potatoes, pickles, and olives, and go generous with the salty (never sweet) dressing. It’s not complicated, but it’s been winning for generations. This recipe is perfect for parties, picnics, and potlucks. Anytime sharing is required, you can count on this vegan potato salad to be a hit.
Perfect Vegan Potato Salad
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes to season tofu
- ½ tsp salt to season tofu
- ½ tsp garlic powder to season tofu
- ½ tsp onion powder to season tofu
- 10 medium potatos
- 2½ c vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- ¾ c unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp salt to season dressing
- 1 tsp garlic powder to season dressing
- 1 tsp onion powder to season dressing
- 1 can sliced olives
- 1 c chopped dill pickles
- Wash potatoes and cut in half. Boil in a large pot for 15-20 minutes, being careful not to overcook. Set aside to cool
- In a frying pan, heat avocado oil over medium heat. Drain and mash tofu (or cube if desired) and season with yeast flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Pan fry seasoned tofu until browned. Remove from heat.
- Peel and cut potatoes with a paring knife into ½ inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, the dressing by stiring together mayonnaise, mustard, almond milk, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Add cubed potatoes, chopped pickles, and sliced olives.
- The potato salad should be moist by not soupy. Add more mayonnaise and/or almond milk if needed to reach desired consistency.